Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation (Norad)
The Norwegian Agency for Development Cooperation (Norad) is a directorate under the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA). Norad's strategy towards 2010 states that Norad:
- aims to be the centre of expertise for evaluation, quality assurance and dissemination of the results of Norwegian development cooperation, jointly with partners in Norway, developing countries and the international community;
- will ensure that the goals of Norway's development policy are achieved by providing advice and support to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Norwegian foreign service missions;
- will administer the agency's grant schemes so that development assistance provided through Norwegian and international partners contributes effectively to poverty reduction.
Climate change and the environment are the main focus areas of Norwegian development policy. Norway is focusing its cooperation in the area of “Climate Change and the Environment” on:
- sustainable management of biological diversity and natural resources;
- climate change and access to clean energy;
- management of water resources, water and sanitation hazardous substances.